23 July 2012

Negros Occidental Revisited

Negros Occidental is a province full of promise to tourists, both new and recurring ones such as me. Not really a tourist because this is my province but I admit, I have not explored the place yet to the hilt. Slowly but surely, that's what I want to achieve.

So for this particular short visit, I said to myself I'm going to visit some places that are a bit near the city. Or in the city itself.

Sharing my photoblog:
VICTORIAS CITY
About 34kms away from Bacolod City, going Northward, about 40mins travel time on a private car and 50mins to 1hr on public transportation. Home of the once glorious Victorias Milling Company (VMC) that was the biggest integrated sugar mill and refinery in the world. And inside the VMC compound is the St.Joseph the Worker Church or more famously known as the Church of the Angry Christ.
The quiet Victorias City Hall on a lazy Saturday afternoon.
Looks old and abandoned but not
Scorching sun is draining the life out of these pretty yellow flowers
You will be surrounded by this scenery anywhere you go.
There it is! Finally! The Church of  the Angry Christ
The facade is very simple and unassuming.

There is the famous mural of the Angry Christ painted by international artist Alfonso Ossorio who was an abstract expressionist who was born in Manila but his affluent parents hail from Negros Occidental also.
I did not find it 'angry' enough, instead I just admired the colorful mural. It was my first time here so I said a short prayer and asked for 3 wishes. That was taught to me by my mom who was also with me here. This trip by the way is our short adventure as a mom & daughter tandem.

The church is surrounded by greenery so it was a bit cool when we were there. Nice.
Of course, a trip here in Victorias City is not complete if you don't visit this antique VMC Locomotive otherwise called the "Iron Dinosaur'. It's a landmark in itself. Another check in my checklist! =)



BAGO CITY
About 20kms away from the provincial capitol of Bacolod City or 30mins travel time. We took a contracted taxi ride going here for P500 coming from the city. They have a twin falls here called Kipot Twin falls that I need to visit next time I will be here in Bacolod.
St. John the Baptist Church. From the outside you might think it small but wait until you get inside. The church was constructed in 1891. This trip here was a special one as my uncle will officiate the fiesta mass, this will formally mark his transfer here at Bago City as their parish priest. 



Happy Fiesta! 
Holy Water basin. Looked so old already. 



BACOLOD CITY
A revisit to these places that I have just passed quickly before.
Cathedral of San Sebastian located at the city center. It was built from 1876-1885.

According to http://heritageconservation.wordpress.com/2006/07/27/bacolod-cathedral/, The coral stone church, now covered with a thin layer of cement, is classical in temper. The slender bell towers flanking the façade give an eastern European look to the church. The entrance to the church is through a portico composed of three arches of equal dimensions. Flanking the main door is a statue of the church builder Fr. Ferrero. The church interior is simple and chaste, its pleasing appearance comes about because of the pleasing modulation of arches and pillars rather than ornamentation. This feeling is accentuated by the unadorned gray faux vault, minus the figures painted by Lago.





The Centennial Bells

Just across the cathedral is the Bacolod Plaza Bandstand and Gazebo. A must visit and going here is nothing to worry about. Located at the heart of the downtown area, public transpo is very easy to get by.
The Bandstand that has the names of the famous composers inscribed in the circle at the sides of the roofing: Beethoven, Wagner, Haydn and Mozart. It is a clear attestment to the early Bacolodnons familiarity with European culture. This is a place where activities of all sorts are being held. I remember before that I attended an event here for Maxipeel, way back in my GMA 7 days. It was constructed in 1927 to complement the weekend cultural activities of the early Bacolodnons.
Per Wikipedia, The plaza is a trapezoidal park with a belt of trees around the periphery and a gazebo at the center. Scattered within the trees are four circular fountains.
There! These are the places that I visited during my short trip here. Of course, done already with the food trip part. Visit it here again, Bacolod Foodie Scene .

23 comments:

  1. I wish to visit Bacolod, my friends said it's a perfect place to do food trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Let me share to you one of my food trip adventures here.. http://thisislovelee.blogspot.com/2012/07/bacolod-foodie-scene.html =)

      Delete
  2. I've visited Bago and Bacolod, but not Victorias.. :) Anyway, love the photos sis. Negros Occidental has really nice structures and scenery, aside from the hospitable people and good food.. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True true! That's why you should visit super soon =)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the free tour! I haven't visited Negros Occidental but upon seeing your photos, looks like an interesting place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos! My sister is quite lucky to have been given the chance to visit this lovely place. I envy her. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bacolod - the city of smiles, and land of haciendas... i wish to visit that place too :) specially during their festivals

    ReplyDelete
  6. ive never been to bacolod :) theres a sale in ensogo and im convincing the bf to go there :) looks like a good place :)

    Rovie, The Bargain Doll

    ReplyDelete
  7. great photos. I would love to visit Negros Occidental someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see Bacolod this year! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Philippines is full of beautiful places. Hope to visit all of them in this lifetime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yang church of the Angry Christ ang hindi ko napuntahan when I went there... i want to revisit Negros Occidental too! thanks for sharing... cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mervin, go back na sa Bacolod! The church is waiting for you. =)

      Delete
  11. Such a rich heritage! I would definitely add this place to my list of must-visit places! :>

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't been there but through your post I was able to get there thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so nice to read blog posts about the different region here in our country. I like to visit those places especially the Church of the Angry Christ and the gazebo!

    xoxo
    MrsMartinez

    ReplyDelete
  14. woooow!! this is a very nice place!!! :D I have never been to Negros :D
    I wish I can visit their wonderful place someday :D

    xoxo
    Rhea Bue (Styles & Writes)
    http://bebe-doll.net/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wanted to visit Bacolod long time ago but it did not happen. But if given the chance to travel there, I might grab the opportunity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bacolod remains in my travel wish list! I hope to visit the place with the family in 2 or 3 years. Lovely photos! I especially like the one of the gazebo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would like to hear the story of why the church was called The church of the Angry Christ. I know you said that the painter painted an angry photo of Christ but I wonder why he called even his mural that. I find it very interesting to speculate about the possible reasons for this as I'm sure that there's a good story to why this is so. You don't find an angry Christ often as he is often portrayed as loving and forgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i envy youuu. the place looks so peaceful and full of historical art. i would love to visit these places too on my vacation :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...