02 September 2013

The Churches of Naga City

I love going to old churches! That's a fact! If I can make a checklist out of all the Philippine churches from Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao, I would love to have that. All the rich history of the town or province is ensconced there, drawing a vivid picture in your mind.

Another popular city from an equally famous province is ticked off from my list -- Naga City of Camarines Sur. In a span of half a day, I was able to see four churches. With some other places of interest in the sideline, of course.
Welcome to Camarines Sur! 
So, here they are:

1. Peñafrancia Basilica Minore
Per Wikipedia, it was established in 1985, it is the new home of Our Lady of Peñafrancia where the       Traslacion starts when her image is led into procession around the city streets then brought to the                 cathedral.



2. Our Lady of Peñafrancia Shrine
Per Wikipedia, this was the original home of Our Lady of Peñafrancia for two centuries. It was                     established in 1750.
This structure is kept in great condition. You can hardly believe that it was built in the 1700s. 

The ceiling art are very nice to look at. The ambiance of the church is very welcoming. Not dark and a bit creepy. 



SIDETRIP!
If you have more time, visit this place. Take a walking tour in this 4-hectare lot. I would love to do that, however, I did not have the luxury of time so I just dropped by for a quick visit. 
They sure have lots to offer. It's good for families or for couples who are on a budget but would like to have a great time. 


I was kind of disappointed with this eco-walk maze because I was expecting more lush greeneries. The ones that they have here are standing on thin ground, haha, but I understood why. This is owned by the government and of course, budget is always an issue. If I remember correctly, entrance fee was for only P20.00 or less, which is not much to sustain the attractions here. But I hope they do. 

3. Naga Metropolitan Cathedral
Per Wikipedia,  is the oldest cathedral established in the whole southern Luzon. It was built in 1573, and was inaugurated in 1575. It is also the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Caceres.

Looks so very ancient. I loved it! It was a good thing that I was able to slip inside for a few minutes before they closed it to the public for some time that day. I dropped by here on a Monday. 

Rustic, right? 


This is the structure that caught my fancy! The rotunda! Look at that dome! So bland, so dull..
But look at its interior! Vibrant colors with very vivid details. Beautiful! Surprise surprise! 
One of my many attempts to have my photo taken with the colorful dome at the back. It's hard! It was a one-woman show. 
The Porta Mariae. Per Wikipedia, it is Neoclassic in architecture and is a triumphal arch that commemorating the tercentenary of the devotion to Our Lady of Peñafrancia.The arch, 18 metres (59 ft) wide, 4 metres (13 ft) deep and 11 metres (36 ft) high, is surmounted by a 10 feet (3 m) tall brass image ofOur Lady of Peñafrancia and two angels on each side
The back view, right in front of the rotunda and the cathedral. 
The Holy Rosary Minor Seminary. I did not know that this was it. My taxi driver cum tour guide failed to point it out in the first place. I just knew about it around the time that we were kilometers away already. Good thing he was a nice man. =)
4. San Francisco Church
Per Wikipediaestablished in 1578, it is the first church in the region built by the Franciscan Friars. The surrender of the Spanish forces to the Bikol revolutionaries Elias Angeles and Felix Plazo took place here on September 18, 1896. The church was reduced to rubble by the heavy bombing of Naga in World War II, and the church remained in ruins until the present new edifice was constructed.
Located near a famous plaza and busy streets. You will not have a hard time looking for this landmark.
The church's old bell tower, in ruins. In a state of disrepair that one would pity. I hope they do something about it soon. 
The simple interiors. 

I was told that the church's history was silently narrated through the stained glass art surrounding the upper walls of the church. Subtle but meaningful. 

Naga has so many to offer and I am so glad for the opportunity this time. I would very much love to return! And I will mention it again, the food is awesome! 

Going to Naga is very easy. There are two ways:
1. By bus - It will take you around 8-10hrs depending on the traffic. I took the bus and left the metro around 8pm and arrived at the city center around 430am. There are many choices for seats such as the regular ones, Lazy Boy seats (more spacious) and the one that I really wanted to try which is the Sleeper bus! Too bad it was fully booked so I settled for a lazyboy instead, if I remember correctly, P1,000. A bit uncomfy for me, I would have wanted the regular seats should I have known. Not to mention the coughing seatmate who does not cover his mouth while he barks, haha! Its a good thing I could sleep through anything! =)
2. By plane - Around an hour or less, you are there already. The most convenient mode to travel, so that you can have more hours to explore Naga. 

Other NAGA CITY posts:



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...